Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I had some explaining to do about my search history

I hate to do this to you, but do you remember Book Fucker?  I found him by Googling "book fucker" in quotes, and he was the first image that popped up.  Now, not so much.  Therefore, I'm calling Book Fucker a book fucker a whole hell of a lot so that folks who Google "book fucker" will be able to find his grimacing face.

You mean you don't remember Book Fucker?  How can you forget?  His image is burned into my retinas.  It's one of the internet's truly disturbing images, made so largely by his expression.  Since I can't find it except on my old BEA post, I don't know his origin story.

But here he is again, for your viewing pleasure:



I showed you that so I could show you this.

IG Publishing, on Indie out of Brooklyn, has offered Book Fucker a rebuttal - the cover of their Fall 2011 / Winter 2010 catalog.  When it hit my desk a couple weeks back, I knew it couldn't be a coincidence.

Today I finally got around to scanning it, so you could judge for yourself:



I'm sure IG Publishing would have you believe it's an innocent reprinting of an Illinois W.P.A. poster from 1936 which admonishes kids not to stick gum inside the pages of books.

Sure, IG, we all know how popular white gum is.

No comments:

Post a Comment